Thursday, November 13, 2008

Squash....

Today, I finally cooked up the remainder of all the pumpkin I peeled on Monday. Impressive, how well this stuff will keep in a cold room. Were it not quite the end of November, I'd pull in the rest of the pumpkins on my porch. Yes... I actually eat them.

I have seen pumpkins being thrown out as soon as Halloween's done... whole pumpkins, ones that weren't even carved into jack-o-lanterns. It's as if folks in this country can't think of anything to do with them besides soup and pie. Don't get me wrong, pumpkin soup is good, and the pumpkin-tomato type popular in Europe is really tasty. There are so many ways to eat this wonderful winter squash, however, and it baffles me that one of the most economical sources of beta-carotenes is overlooked like this.

This is what goes through my mind looking at the remaining 25 pounds of pumpkin on the deck...

Pie!!!!!!!!!
Au Gratin
Ravioli
Pumpkin Bread!!!
Pancakes!
Pumpkin-chocolate chip cookies!
Croquettes
Roasted with potatoes and garlic
Plain, pureed

This is just what comes off the top of my head. This is a very flexible fruit, and more people should take advantage of it. If anyone has a pumpkin recipe I should know about, please send it my way.

No comments: